Thursday, November 13, 2008

SAILING--WITH CURTIS AS OUR CAPTAIN!!!

A week after our trip to Santa Barbara we decided to head back up that way to spend a day at the Oxnard harbor.  We had just intended on walking around, getting lunch, and maybe doing some shopping, but once we got there we thought we would try something new.  We noticed that there were boat rentals available and I quickly took interest in the little motorized boat with a canvas awning--it looked very family friendly and easy to drive.  But as my luck would have it Curtis had his sights set on the little sail boat.  He reassured me that he knew how to sail, even though he's never mentioned it during our nearly 10 years of marriage, and that we would be just fine.  After he finally convinced me that we would not get stranded out in the harbor somewhere we suited up and set sail.  I have to admit that I was quite impressed with Curtis' sailing abilities.  He was such a natural and it seemed as though he had done it a million times before.  I finally was able to relax and enjoy the scenery and we all had a wonderful time out on the water.  I learned something new about my husband that day.



Captain Curtis.
  Maneuvering through the harbor like an old pro.  It wasn't until we were on the boat that I finally learned how Curtis got his sailing experience.  A summer weekend spent at a lake with some friends in Florida.  He took the boat out on his own and taught himself how to sail.  Oh yeah, and he was only 9 years old!!  Before we set sail I wouldn't have consider one solo outing from 25 years ago (at the age of 9!!) to be enough experience, but obviously for Curtis it was.  We ticked and tacked our way through that harbor and had an unforgettable afternoon.  He's just lucky he told me that fact after we set sail :-).

This was Gavin's first time out on a boat.  I was certainly nervous about it, since there is a lot going on when you sail, but he was fine and enjoyed seeing all the birds, sea lions, and other boats in the harbor.  We'll have to make another trip up again in the near future.



No comments: